My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://poetinthepantry.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Walk in the Woods

Despite the best of intentions, for the last month and a half, I usually ended up hanging around campus in the three hours between classes instead of getting out into the fresh air. I really wanted to get on my bike or at least take a walk, but instead, procrastination kept me a prisoner of those brick walls, stuck at a library table poring over books I should have read already or papers that should have been finished at home. Oops.

Yesterday was too nice to stay inside. So I grabbed my camera and rode my trusty (though not very trustworthy) Blazer to the Larkin Bridle Trail in Waterbury. A friend had given me the goods about this hidden gem when I asked where I could ride my mountain bike and he delivered! It isn't exactly challenging other than the short hike up from the parking lot on Route 63 to the trail proper, but it is an ideal escape from downtown Waterbury during the day. The gravel path is frequented by horses and sure enough, there were two trailers in the lot. I did not encounter these steeds but I did see hoofprints in the mud--they thoughtfully kept their plops to the sides of the trails where they could easily be avoided.

I only managed 1-2 miles in the hour I spent photographing, but there are many more to be explored. I'll definitely be returning.

At the end of the day, I couldn't resist playing with the fisheye on my favorite tree at the Greater Hartford campus. This ancient oak has wide spreading limbs like they're waiting to envelope you in Mother Nature's great embrace. LOVE this tree!



No comments:

Post a Comment